As you get closer to giving birth, your tummy will keep growing. This process is completely natural and, in general, the bigger the tummy, the more proud you should be! However, in a situation like this, you may experience some distractions. For instance, you may struggle to find your ideal sleeping position. Luckily, we have a solution for that – all you need to do is buy a proper pregnancy pillow.
No matter how you look at these pillows, they’re always a worthy investment. Insomnia can be quite disturbing for both you and your partner, so the sooner you address it, the better.
The best way to get high-quality sleep is to get a pregnancy pillow, but you shouldn’t be in a rush. Although there are many pillows to choose from, not every pillow will be suitable for you personally. You need to find the pregnancy pillow that will fit your needs the most because, otherwise, you will waste your money for nothing. Making the right decision is not an easy job, but this guide will, hopefully, bring you closer towards that goal. No matter which of these four pillows you end up buying, rest assured that all of them are viable choices. Moreover, they will all give you the much-needed quality that we all strive for. So, let’s dive right in and see what options we have!
Leacho Snoogle Pregnancy Pillow – our choice for the best c-shaped pregnancy pillow
- This pillow is the best-selling pregnancy pillow on Amazon.
- The cover is highly durable and very easy to wash.
- All the materials (including the contours) are entirely natural.
- The pillow comes from the United States.
Leacho Back’N’Belly Body Pillow – our choice for the best u-shaped pregnancy pillow
- This pillow comes with a highly flexible back support.
- You can wash its cover just as easily as the cover of the previous pillow. On top of that, they’re both equally durable as well.
- The pillow itself contains plenty of inner contours.
- Once again, the product comes from the US.
Boppy Pregnancy Wedge – our choice for the best wedge pregnancy pillow
- This pillow is extremely compact and flexible.
- It’s very flexible as well.
- You can remove the cover whenever you don’t need it.
- The pillow is very affordable, and it’s a great solution for any future mother who wants a great mix of price and value.
Coop Home Goods Body Pillow – our choice for the best memory foam pregnancy pillow
- Unlike many other pregnancy pillows, you can easily wash this one in your washing machine.
- The pillow itself is hypoallergenic.
- The product comes with a 5-year warranty.
- It’s another pillow that comes from the US.
There are several types of pregnancy pillows to choose from, and they’re all different from one another. Even though not every type will suit you perfectly, it’s crucial for you to understand all the pros and cons of each one, so that you have a better overview of what to focus on when buying your pregnancy pillow.
Let’s examine all of those different types right now.
The pregnancy wedge pillows
As the name implies, these pillows are, essentially, “wedge pillows”. They can slide under your tummy (or back), and they provide great support during the night.
The best thing about these pillows is that they are very affordable. You don’t need a huge budget to get one and, unlike the other types, you actually get quite a lot for a small amount of money. Many mothers favor pregnancy wedge pillows over the other types as they provide much higher functionality. At the same time, they’re much more practical as well. And the best thing is that you don’t even have to be pregnant to enjoy these pillows – all you need to do is give them a try!
The pillow can be used in three different ways:
- You can place it under your tummy (to prevent the weight from pressuring your hips).
- You can also place it behind your back (in order to provide additional support).
- The pregnancy wedge pillow can also be combined with a regular pillow (which can be helpful to alleviate the symptoms of reflux and pregnancy heartburn).
These pillows come in two different styles – round and triangular wedge pillows. Both are equally good, so you can’t make a mistake here.
How should I sleep properly with a pregnancy wedge pillow?
The pillow itself is wedged right underneath you, so that’s the position you should aim for.
- These pillows are very affordable.
- They don’t consume too much space.
- They only support some parts of your body.
- You will still need a regular pillow.
The full-length pillows
As the name itself already implies, these pillows are, essentially, as long as your body and they are made to cover it fully. Even though they offer plenty of flexibility, they’re not as versatile as the other types.
That being said, full-length pillows have plenty of upsides as well. The pillow literally stays in one place, so you won’t have to “chase” it around all night.
Both straight full-length pillows and flexible full-length pillows are equally good. The flexible pillows can turn into any shape you like while the straight ones don’t have that kind of versatility. If you like to try different shapes, go for the flexible type. Otherwise, you should stick to the standard full-length pillows.
How should I sleep properly with a full-length pillow?
Compared to the other more traditional pillows, full-length pillows should be cuddled and hugged. Just lie in your bed, relax, and hug your full-length pillow. You’ll fall asleep faster than you realize!
- Full-length pillows can support your whole body.
- You don’t need any pillows once you’ve purchased these ones.
- These pillows consume way too much space.
- They’re not a good option if you’re a back sleeper.
The total-body and maternity pregnancy pillows
The total-body pillows can provide great support for any pregnant mother as you can easily wrap them around your body. They are typically big enough for any woman to get inside and they are about five feet long (on average).
There are two different types of total-body pregnancy pillows – c-shaped pillows and u-shaped pillows. They got their names based on the shape they form, and they are quite different from one another.
How should I use my c-shaped pillow?
Ideally, you should use this pillow in a riding position. The very base of the pillow should be put between your legs. Meanwhile, you should lay your back on the very curve of the “C” letter, and you can lay your hands at the top of the letter. This way, you can eradicate any pressure that comes from your back.
How should I use my u-shaped pillow?
If you think of koalas, you can get a very good idea of how you need to hug this type of pillow. The “U” letter provides enough support for both sides of your body and, moreover, it also supports your head, legs, and back. Just straddle it appropriately, and you should have no issues whatsoever.
- These pregnancy pillows are extremely supportive.
- Once again, you won’t need to get separate head pillows as your entire body is covered.
- They’re too big.
- These pillows are very expensive. In fact, they’re the most expensive pregnancy pillows on the market.