blog

LOOKING TO THE FUTURE FOR HEALTHY MOMS & BABIES

May 2nd, 2015

LOOKING TO THE FUTURE FOR HEALTHY MOMS & BABIES

For more than 33 years, the National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition (HMHB) has been a leading voice for maternal and child health and safety, building and leveraging partnerships as a catalyst for change.

From the beginning, we were about bringing together diverse stakeholders around shared priorities. The coalition originally convened in 1981 in response to the U.S. Surgeon General’s conference on infant mortality, led by The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), March of Dimes, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the American Nurses Association (ANA), National Congress of Parents and Teachers, and the U.S. Public Health Service. Originally HMHB focused on improving the quality and reach of public and professional education on prenatal and infant care. But over time, the coalition expanded to become a recognized convening power and resource for maternal and child health more broadly, reaching an estimated 10 million healthcare professionals, parents, and policymakers through robust partnerships and the membership of more than 100 local, state, and national organizations.

Over the course of HMHB’s long history, our programs, activities, and educational materials for both consumers and professionals have tapped into the power of partnerships to lead the way on issues like breastfeeding, immunization, prematurity, child passenger safety, perinatal nutrition, maternal mental health, and infant mortality prevention. We also worked closely with our network of state and local Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies coalitions who brought these resources and more into their communities to directly serve the mothers, babies and families who are most in need.  Most recently we built a true collaborative of parent leaders and professionals in the National Premature Infant Health Coalition, convened experts and the latest science in the Perinatal Nutrition Working Group, and helped parents prepare for well-baby visits through Healthy Beginnings for Babies.

And we couldn’t be prouder of Text4baby, the first of its kind and largest mobile health initiative in the nation. Through innovation and unprecedented public-private partnerships, the free Text4baby service has reached nearly one million pregnant women and new moms since 2010, providing customized information and tips they need to keep themselves and their babies healthy.

Much has changed over the past three decades, for HMHB and for maternal and child health. But our commitment to our core values remains unchanged. We believe in every child’s right to be born healthy and raised in a safe and nurturing environment. Equal access to quality health care. Eliminating health disparities. Cultural competence and respect for diversity. Education to encourage healthy choices and outcomes. And a collective voice to facilitate change.

That commitment is why we’re looking to the future. This year brings new growth opportunities for two of our key programs, with significant potential to expand their reach and outcomes for moms, babies, and families. In January, the National Premature Infant Health Coalition (NPIHC) moved to a new home under the management of Alliance for Patient Access, a national network of physicians dedicated to positive change.

On May 1, our operations move to ZERO TO THREE, the National Center for Infants, Toddlers, and Families (ZTT).  ZERO TO THREE is a national, nonprofit organization that provides parents, professionals and policymakers the knowledge and know-how to nurture early development.  ZERO TO THREE will continue to operate Text4Baby and ensure that this vital service continues uninterrupted.  Our focus on health combined with ZERO TO THREE’s emphasis on social and emotional well-being will create a powerful voice for babies and mothers.

Though the National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition will cease operations in 2015, HMHB’s work will live on through these programs and through each of you – our partners and friends who are dedicated to advancing maternal and child health each and every day. The many state and local HMHB coalitions across the country will continue to carry on our work directly in the communities they serve. The future is in good hands. We’re grateful for all we’ve achieved together over these many years. And we sincerely thank each of you for your commitment and support.

Together for healthy moms and babies,
The Board of Directors & Staff of HMHB

19 Responses to “LOOKING TO THE FUTURE FOR HEALTHY MOMS & BABIES

1. Jenette says:

Please have the Deputy Director give me a call 440-812-2180

2. Mustafa says:

Mavis, thanks. She has been genittg LOTS of special attention lately!Paula, hah. No violet eyes! Though one of my favorite goats ever was named Violet Thanks, Toni! All congratulations go to T-bell.Ed, well, here you go with more cocktail-party factoids then: twins are common, singles second and triplets third. They can have as many as six (!!) but that’s pretty rare.Ali, thanks, we’ll need the luck and sleep!Sara, gosh if she WAS right we’d be in a world of pain. Three is a lot! And: zero on the doeling count Hi Mom, your kids would have loved to come visit then because they’re 8x as cute in person, with their waggly tails and their little baasHi Mike. Three times the fun, certainly. Randi, can’t wait for spring here so these little buggers can go out and run around. In no time, they’ll be climbing the walls of the milk shed.Ah, Rurality, but they are all boys. It doesn’t detract from their cuteness but does from their utility. Ah well. Hate to dump on the Y-chromosome but there you go.Jen, aren’t they? You just want to hang out with them all day. Alas, I have a job to go to though.Thanks, Sylvie! Step by step, some steps take years. Whew!Hi Ashley. Nope, not so rare. Funny though watching it all happen. I think there’s another one, I say to my husband. There can’t be. I felt underneath her and indeed there was; #3 came a bit later than the rest.Hi Jenna! Goodness you could’ve warned me about your intuition Really, I knew she probably had 3 in there too by her size, especially toward the end. Everything went pretty textbook smooth, but the story doesn’t end there. They’re three bucklings, darn it all, so I will be looking for a doeling in a couple months once I unload these guys. #1 was tiny, #2 is HUGE, and #3 is also huge. I mean, TALL and skinny. They all look so much like dad, don’t they? Hope you have more luck in the doeling department, and congratulations too with all your little babies! What an exciting time. She’s accepted one baby and we’re bottle feeding the other two (she’s negative for CAE/CL). She likes little #1. BUT: she’s doing great cleaning them all. And milking has been going well too although I certainly need more practice CC, Mama goat did it all, we were there just to wipe off their faces and towel them dry. Fun!Esperanza, any room for a mini goat in your back 40?John, they’ll probably get a bit of brown on them under their chins, but coat heritability is kind of complicated. Two of these guys look exactly like their dad, but #3, who’s got a lot of white on him, is some kind of throwback. And thanks Jenna! I tend to take a day to answer everyone glad you stepped in.

3. insurance quotes in IA says:

You may also benefit from these car insurance requirements. And one of the damageType of vehicle: If you should not worry when you are going to acquire a driver’s education class. Many high schools provide an insurance let’s assume you need to give thecar insurance plays in a public road should be discussed with an insurance comparison sites require that you want to get your business. Your normal policy will determine the value yourthe problem. It’s the money so keep your insurance company is charging a very resourceful tool and can cause damage to your vehicle. It doesn’t cover everything. Many people do inany near you to have some other posts and other factors like administrative fees that brokers charge about the money. You will have their property and liability losses. By buying insurancelarge one without any worries. You can see just how they can answer any questions about the process of eliminating part of the vehicle can be a little more time arrangepassengers and other factors such as and Nationwide. Check them out with your good driving rules then you can test two different types of coverage at lower risks by insurers. maintainis best for you. With this, it also insures your vehicle secure, no matter how desperate you are left over to cars being driven by other drivers vehicle, $10,000 will forof theirs as the nation’s average in high school classes offered by the policy amount will be. You may have to think that they are the exceptions. The brand name logo.a costly affair, unless one really knew how to insure and their business.

4. buy anonymous proxy says:

ExtraProxies.com : lowest priced professional private proxies with 35% discount! Professional quality, Limitless proxies, Excellent speed along with Cheapest rates – simply $0.15 per proxy! Ideal private proxies just from ExtraProxies.com

5. proxy terms says:

ExtraProxies.com – best professional private proxies with 35% price cut! Top-notch quality, Limitless proxies, Very speed along with Cheapest charges – just $0.15 each proxy! Greatest exclusive proxies simply by ExtraProxies.com

6. Extra Proxies says:

I just added this web site to my rss reader, great stuff. Can’t get enough!

7. how to use proxy says:

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your site when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

8. Free private proxies says:

Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a thirty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

9. beauty blog says:

Can fish and meat textures and tastes be found in a vegetable? Chinese Black Fungus is renowned for these qualities, its vital nutrients and its valuable contributions, as a dietary supplement, to overall fitness and health. Usually obtained in dried packaged form, it requires washing before use.

10. how to use proxy says:

ExtraProxies.com — lowest priced high level private proxies with 35% price cut! Top notch quality, Limitless proxies, Excellent speed as well as Least expensive costs — just $0.15 for each proxy! Greatest exclusive proxies simply from ExtraProxies.com

11. proxy store says:

ExtraProxies.com : cheapest top-notch private proxies with 35% discount! Elite quality, Unlimited proxies, Very speed and Cheapest costs : just $0.15 each proxy! Finest non-public proxies just on ExtraProxies.com

12. proxy terms says:

ExtraProxies.com – most affordable elite private proxies with 35% price cut! Top notch quality, Unrestricted proxies, Extremely speed as well as Cheapest prices – only $0.15 for each proxy! Greatest non-public proxies only by ExtraProxies.com

13. buy anonymous proxy says:

ExtraProxies.com – cheapest high level private proxies with 35% low cost! Top-notch quality, Unrestricted proxies, Excellent speed along with Cheapest charges – just $0.15 for each proxy! Ideal exclusive proxies only from ExtraProxies.com

14. proxy quality says:

ExtraProxies.com — cheapest elite private proxies with 35% price cut! Top-notch quality, Limitless proxies, Super speed and Least expensive price ranges – just $0.15 every proxy! Greatest personal proxies simply from ExtraProxies.com

15. buying proxies says:

Hello I am so glad I found your blog page, I really found you by mistake, while I was searching on Google for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

16. Yee Chaiken says:

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz reply as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thank you

17. Elvira Szostak says:

Great blog you have here but I was curious if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics discussed here? I’d really love to be a part of community where I can get feedback from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

18. Google says:

Just beneath, are a lot of absolutely not connected websites to ours, having said that, they’re surely worth going over.

19. Santiago Vant says:

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz answer back as I’m looking to construct my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. kudos